During the shooting no police officers were injured while one female, accidentally standing nearby, was wounded and is now at hospital.

A shooting at the official visitor’s center of the U.S. Capitol injured one police officer and forced law enforcement to lock down Capitol Hill and the White House on Monday, according to the Reuters’ report.

An unknown man went into the underground U.S. Capitol Visitor Center and pointed what later turned out to be a weapon at officers. Guards fired a shot at the man and wounded him. The suspect, who was identified as Larry Dawson, 66, Tennessee, is now in stable but critical condition at a hospital.

According to Capitol Police, Dawson has been charged with assault with a deadly weapon and assault on a police officer while armed. The weapon was allegedly a pellet gun.

“During routine administrative screening, the individual drew what appeared to be a weapon and pointed it at officers. Based on initial investigation, we believe this is an act of a single person who has frequented the Capitol grounds before. There is no reason to believe this is anything more than a criminal act,” Matthew Verderosa, Capitol Police Chief, said.

During the incident no police officers were injured. It remains unclear how many officers fired shots. However, a woman standing nearby was accidentally wounded, as the police chief informed. She was taken to a hospital but her current condition has not been disclosed.

At the same time as Dawson was trying to attack the Capitol, police arrested a woman at the White House Easter egg roll. She attempted to move a temporary security barrier. A Secret Service official underlines that there is no relation between the Capitol incident and the White House arrest.

Remarkably, Dawson has already had criminal record when last October he disrupted House proceedings and shouted he was a “Prophet of God. As a result he was charged with disorderly and disruptive conduct on the grounds of the Capitol and assaulting, resisting or interfering with a police officer. The Court ordered him to stay away from the building and grounds.

A schedule hearing must have taken place in November. However, Dawson didn’t appear in the Court. In a letter filed with his case, he stated that he will “not comply with the court order, nor will I surrender myself unto your office.”

The addition to the letter contained four exclamation points and read: “No longer will I let myself be governed by flesh and blood, but only by the Divine Love of God.”

Dawson also insisted that he served in the Army and was honorably discharged in 1971.

Labor records witness against Dawson as well. He used to be licensed in Tennessee to work as a funeral director. His license expired in 2004 and the state’s Board of Funeral Directors and Embalmers got three requests from Dawson to reinstate his license and all three times it  voted to turn him down, citing the “applicant’s lack of good moral character.”

We welcome comments that advance the story directly or with relevant tangential information. We try to block comments that use offensive language, all capital letters or appear to be spam, and we review comments frequently to ensure they meet our standards. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of TheBlogIsMine Ltd.