New details in investigation of attacks in Brussels have emerged. Belgian police published images of possible suspects. The three unidentified men in the photo are passing the airport’s check-in area with baggage carts. Two of the men are wearing black clothing and black gloves on their left hands. The third man is wearing light clothing and a dark hat.
Michael Horowitz, a prominent geopolitical and security analyst for the security company Levantine Group, came out with a suggestion that two men with gloves were possible suicide bombers – the gloves were used to hide detonators.
The two guys in black are likely the suicide bombers: both have one glove on their left hand to hide detonators #Brussels
— Michael Horowitz (@michaelh992) March 22, 2016
The photos were taken on security cameras at Zaventem Airport, where attacks had been committed. The two suicide bombers in gloves have already been identified. They are brothers Khalid and Brahim El Bakraoui, Brussels residents, both having criminal record.
Khalid had used a false name to rent a flat in the Forest borough of the Belgian capital. Investigators found there an Islamic State flag, an assault rifle, detonators and a fingerprint of Paris attacks prime suspect Salah Abdeslam.
Belgian police asked the public for assistance and shared a zoomed-in photo of the man in the hat on Facebook. “Police are attempting to identify this man,” the Facebook post reads. “He is suspected of having committed the attack at the Zaventem airport on March 22, 2016. If you recognize this man or if you have information related to this attack, please contact investigators.”
The two explosion, taken place at Brussels’s airport Zaventem and Maelbeek metro station yesterday, took 34 lives. More than 187 people were injured. The blasts occurred only four days after the arrest of Salah Abdeslam, one of the main suspects in the November terrorist attacks on Paris. Belgian police had been warned and ready for any reprisal action.
Soon after the attacks, Twitter and Facebook were flooded with the related images and video showing smoke rising from the departure hall, where windows had been shattered by the blasts, and passengers, running away down a slipway from the departure lounge.
— Anna Ahronheim (@AAhronheim) March 22, 2016
The militant group Islamic State has already taken responsibility for the attacks through its Amaq News Agency.
The terror attacks caused a surge of righteous anger and sympathy to the victims all over the world. The most prominent political and media persons commented the situation in social networks, not always correctly. There were many of those who used the tragedy to draw links with refugees and border closures, and promote other extremist agendas. Here are several of the most shameful comments:
Donald Trump – U.S. presidential candidate:
Do you all remember how beautiful and safe a place Brussels was. Not anymore, it is from a different world! U.S. must be vigilant and smart!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 22, 2016
Katie Hopkins – a British television personality and newspaper columnist:
Every one of you who said refugees are welcome, if you said 'let them in'. You are responsible for Brussels. And you still can't see.
— Katie Hopkins (@KTHopkins) March 22, 2016
Marc Thiessen – an American author, columnist and political commentator:
Brussels under attack. Obama on a tourist trio in Havana with his family. Says it all.
— Marc Thiessen (@marcthiessen) March 22, 2016