Charlie Hebdo Attack: French Forces Kill Suspects, Hostages Die in Second Siege

Two suspects in Charlie Hebdo attacked were killed by police during a massive armed storm.

French forces have stormed two hostage sites in Paris and its surburbs, killing three hostage takers, including two suspects in the January 7 Charlie Hebdo massacre. Photo: Bernard Bujold -/Flickr

French forces have stormed two hostage sites in Paris and its surburbs, killing three hostage takers, including two suspects in the January 7 Charlie Hebdo massacre. Photo: Bernard Bujold -/Flickr

The French police killed the alleged terrorists in course of Friday raids, putting an end to three days of terrible bloodshed that shook a nation struggling with Islamic extremists.

French President Francois Hollande confirmed to reporters that four other people also were killed in a kosher market in eastern Paris where a gunman seized hostages.

The politician declared their deaths an act of anti-Semitism.

Two Al-Qaeda-linked siblings suspected in the Charlie Hebdo massacre, Cherif and Said Kouachi, were killed by security forces after they emerged, firing automatic assault rifles, from a printing plant in Dammartin-en-Goele where they had been cornered earlier on January 9.

“The raid on the Paris market killed 32-year-old Amedy Coulibaly moments after the deaths of the Charlie Hebdo suspects,” informs Radio Free Europe. “Coulibaly had threatened to kill his hostages if authorities attacked the besieged Charlie Hebdo suspects.”

With one of the gunmen revealing shortly before his death that he was sponsored by the famous terrorist organisation, President Hollande warned that the danger to France – home to the European Union’s biggest communities of both Muslims and Jews – was not over yet.

“These madmen, fanatics, have nothing to do with the Muslim religion,” Hollande said in a televised address. “France has not seen the end of the threats it faces.”

An audio recording posted on YouTube attributed to a leader of the Yemeni branch of al Qaeda (AQAP) said the attack in France was prompted by insults to prophets but stopped short of claiming responsibility for the assault on the offices of Charlie Hebdo.

Sheikh Hareth al-Nadhari said in the recording, “Some in France have misbehaved with the prophets of God and a group of God’s faithful soldiers taught them how to behave and the limits of freedom of speech.”

“Soldiers who love God and his prophet and who are in love with martyrdom for the sake of God had come to you,” he said in the recording, the authenticity of which could not immediately be verified.

“I was sent, me, Cherif Kouachi, by Al Qaeda of Yemen. I went over there and it was Anwar al Awlaki who financed me,” one of the gunmen told the local TV station by telephone, according to a recording aired by the channel after the siege was over.

Cherif Kouachi, 32, the younger brother of 34-year-old Said Kouachi, back in 2008 was convicted for criminal association with a terrorist enterprise. He spent 18 months in jail for his involvement in a Paris-based cell that trafficked French Muslims to fight in Iraq.

The yonger sibling, Hamyd Mourad, 18, turned himself in to police after authorities identified the three men wanted in connection with the attack.

French police spokeswoman Agnès Thibault-Lecuivre revealed to reporters that Mourad walked into a police station about 145 miles northeast of Paris and surrendered. “He introduced himself and was put in custody,” Thibault-Lecuivre told the newspaper.

Share this article

We welcome comments that advance the story directly or with relevant tangential information. We try to block comments that use offensive language, all capital letters or appear to be spam, and we review comments frequently to ensure they meet our standards. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Coinspeaker Ltd.