U.S. Determines North Korea Behind Sony Attack as Studio Pulls Movie ‘The Interview’

The U.S. blame North Korea in a massive attack at Sony.

Last month unknown hackers crashed down the entire computer network of Sony Entertainment. Photo: Attack of the fan boy

Last month unknown hackers crashed down the entire computer network of Sony Entertainment. Photo: Attack of the fan boy

American officials announced today that they have determined that the government of North Korea is linked to the hack that left Sony Entertainment Pictures reeling and eventually prompted it to pull a movie critical of the country’s leader.

However, it’s still unclear about the nature of North Korea’s involvement. The country, while lauding the hack against Sony, has previously denied being behind it. There were conflicting reports a few days ago, and officials are expected to unveil their findings Thursday. But the U.S. official confirmed that intelligence authorities have indeed determined North Korea was behind the hack, one of the worst cyberattacks ever against an American company.

The New York Times, citing senior Obama Administration officials,reported that intelligence officials have determined North Korea was “centrally involved.” NBC News, also citing unnamed U.S. officials,reported that the Americans believe the hacking came from outside North Korea itself, but that the hackers were acting on orders from Pyongyang.

“The hack exposed reams of company data, including employees’ emails and salaries,” Sony reports.

“A group calling itself the Guardians of Peace claimed credit. And analysts have speculated North Korea was behind an attack that came before the scheduled release of The Interview, a Sony movie that depicts American journalists enlisted by the CIA to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. (North Korean officials have criticized the movie.) Threats of 9/11-style attacks against theaters that show the movie led many theaters to say this week that they wouldn’t screen it, which prompted Sony to cancel the scheduled Christmas Day release altogether.”

“We are deeply saddened by this brazen effort to suppress the distribution of a movie, and in the process do damage to our company, our employees and the American public,” Sony said in a statement. “We stand by our filmmakers and their right to free expression and are extremely disappointed by this outcome.”

In an interview with ABC News on Wednesday, President Barack Obama called the hack against Sony “very serious,” but suggested authorities have yet to find any credibility in the threat of attacks against theaters.

“For now, my recommendation would be that people go to the movies,” Obama said.

His opinion was also shared by many celebrities who took to Twitter to express their thoughts:

Meanwhile, Sony announced its decision to cancel the release of “The Interview”, the movie which reveals the story of the fictional assassination of North Korea’s leader, in what appears to be an unprecedented victory for Pyongyang and its abilities to wage cyber-warfare.

“Sony has no further release plans for the film,” a Sony spokeswoman said on Wednesday when asked whether the movie would be released later in theaters or as video on demand.

Sony came under immediate criticism for the decision to pull the movie.

“With the Sony collapse, America has lost its first cyberwar. This is a very, very dangerous precedent,” said former Republican House of Representatives speaker Newt Gingrich in a Twitter post.

Share this article

We welcome comments that advance the story directly or with relevant tangential information. We try to block comments that use offensive language, all capital letters or appear to be spam, and we review comments frequently to ensure they meet our standards. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Coinspeaker Ltd.