Firefighters Save Family of Hamsters with Tiny Oxygen Masks

Washington firefighters saved little hamsters from a fire using specially designed animal first aid equipment.

"Oreo", "Madonna" and the baby hamsters being treated with oxygen. LFD3 crews have animal rescue and aid equipment. Photo: Lacey Fire/Twitter

“Oreo”, “Madonna” and the baby hamsters being treated with oxygen. LFD3 crews have animal rescue and aid equipment. Photo: Lacey Fire/Twitter

A team of quick-thinking firefighters in Washington rescued a family of pet hamsters trapped in a mobile home on fire.

The brave firefighters of Lacey Fire Department District 3 in Lacey, Washington, responded to a small fire in a mobile home on Friday, tweeting their progress as they contained the fire.

There was nobody home, except for a family of hamsters scared to death, inhaling the lethal smoke, when the fire broke out in the laundry room. The woman who lived there had left her home to go to a friend’s house, but returned shortly after responding firefighters began fighting the blaze.

Oreo, Madonna and their three unnamed babies were found in a cage in a living room next to a marriage certificate filled out using crayons, unfortunately, one of the babies didn’t make it.

“Apparently they were married… The family had made a marriage certificate for Oreo and Madonna. It was pretty cute,” Battalion Chief Tim Hulfe said. He added: “I think this was officially my first hamster.”

“We have never done anything like that with hamsters, but we had to try,” Ryan Fox, a spokesman for the Lacey Fire Department said.

Using their pocket guide and specially designed animal first aid equipment, crews treated the family of hamsters with oxygen masks. Standard oxygen tubing was placed over one hamsters face and two others were put into a plastic bag that was pumped with oxygen.

“We have a whole aid kit we use in house fires that fits dogs and cats. We don’t have anything that small, but we’re pretty good at improvising,” a Lacey Fire District Three battalion chief said.

The Lacey Fire Department later revealed that all their firefighters are specially trained and equipped to care for animals caught in house blazes.

The Lacey Fire Department put photos of the rescue on their Twitter page shortly after the incident. The touching image of firefighter Eric Bamer saving the life of a baby hamster flooded the internet on Monday.

Twitter users were delighted to see the rescue, with one tweeting, “Thank you for rescuing & providing emergency treatment for animals injured in fires. You rock!”

Share this article

We welcome comments that advance the story directly or with relevant tangential information. We try to block comments that use offensive language, all capital letters or appear to be spam, and we review comments frequently to ensure they meet our standards. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Coinspeaker Ltd.