Seattle Pacific University Shooting Leaves At Least 1 Dead

Many students of Seattle Pacific University were injured and one killed in a terrible shooting on Thursday.

Multiple students were wounded and one killed, in a shooting at Seattle Pacific University on Thursday afternoon. Photo: CurbedSeattle/Flickr

Multiple students were wounded and one killed, in a shooting at Seattle Pacific University on Thursday afternoon. Photo: CurbedSeattle/Flickr

At least three students were shot in the school’s science and engineering building, reports the Seattle Police Department.

One man who was immediately delivered to Harborview hospital later passed away, sources familiar with the matter claim.

Officials at the hospital told local news agency that a 20-year-old woman with life-threatening injuries was undergoing surgery. A 24-year-old and a 22-year-old men remain in satisfactory condition. One of them was not shot.

The gunman, who opened fire in a building around 3:30 p.m. was armed with a shotgun and knife. He was later disarmed by a student building monitor when he tried reloading, Seattle PD Capt. Chris Fowler reported in a press conference.

“As the suspect was subdued, other students piled on to help. Pepper spray was used to subdue the suspect,” The Huffington Post claims.

“Suspected gunman Aaron R. Ybarra, 26, was booked into King County Jail, the Seattle Police Department announced early Friday morning. Authorities say he is not believed to be a student at the school,” the publication adds.

The university took to Twitter to announce that the incident took place near Otto Miller Hall. SWAT groups checked additional SPU buildings around the private college after capturing the suspect.

The campus was lockdowned after 5 p.m. as the student union building was prepared to house grief counseling for students and faculty.

One physics student revealed to reporters that he walked through “pools of blood” when police evacuated his building.

“There are a number of heroes in this,” Assistant Police Chief Paul McDonagh said. “The people around him (the gunman) stepped up.”

“But for the great response by the people of Seattle Pacific, this incident might have been much more tragic,” he said.

Student Chris Howard was at the captured building when he heard shots. He recalled seeing the wounded young woman on the floor being tended to by a classmate.

Howard claims that the victim’s chest was bloodied, as well as her phone, but she asked her helpers to look through her phone for her mother, aunt and best friend.

“She was panicking,” Howard said. “She said ‘I think I’m going to die.'”

Soon after police arrived and the witness ran outside and back through the lobby where he saw the man pinned on the floor.

“The suspect was calm. Not speaking. Not moving. Not struggling. Just there,” Howard remembered.

Thursday’s shooting came a week before the end of the school year, and the situation was particularly tense when police initially reported that they were searching for a second suspect.

“It appears the suspect acted alone,” McDonagh said.

He said he did not know the gunman’s motive or intended target. Detectives are “working as quickly as we can to figure it out,” McDonagh added.

“We were pretty much freaking out,” said Smith, 20, a sophomore, who was at the building when the incident happened. “People were texting family and friends, making sure everyone was OK.”

“Seeing blood made it real,” Smith said. “I didn’t think something like this would happen at our school.”

Share this article

We welcome comments that advance the story directly or with relevant tangential information. We try to block comments that use offensive language, all capital letters or appear to be spam, and we review comments frequently to ensure they meet our standards. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Coinspeaker Ltd.