Target Data Breach Could Have Affected Up To 70 Million More Customers

NEW YORK | Friday, January 10th, 2014 1:01pm EDT

The massive data breach at Target over the holiday season is potentially much worse than the retailer first reported, with up to 70 million more customers affected.

Target Data Breach Could Have Affected Up To 70 Million More Customers 01

In December, the retailer disclosed that data thieves hacked 40 million accounts, stealing encrypted PIN data, customer names, credit and debit card numbers, card expiration dates and the embedded code on the magnetic strip on the back of cards used at Target between Nov. 27 and Dec. 15. Photo: Buildings As Evidence/ Flickr

On Friday, Target announced that data breach during the holiday shopping season was far bigger than initially thought, as state prosecutors announced a nationwide probe into the second-biggest retail cyber attack on record.

Last month Target Corp. disclosed that about 40 million credit and debit cards may have been affected by a data breach that happened between Nov. 27 and Dec. 15 — just as the holiday shopping season was getting into gear. However, the investigation has found that criminals, actually, took non-credit card related data for some 70 million shoppers who could have made purchases at Target stores outside the late Nov. to mid-Dec. timeframe.

“I know that it is frustrating for our guests to learn that this information was taken and we are truly sorry they are having to endure this,” Gregg Steinhafel, chairman, president and CEO of Target said in the release. “I also want our guests to know that understanding and sharing the facts related to this incident is important to me and the entire Target team.”

The company is working with the Secret Service and the Department of Justice to determine who was behind the attack. Spokesmen at the Secret Service and the Justice Department declined to comment on the investigation.

Attorneys general from New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Minnesota said they were joining a nationwide probe into the security breach. A source familiar with the joint probe said more than 30 states were involved.

“A breach of this magnitude is extremely disconcerting and we are participating in a multi-state investigation to discover the circumstances that led to this breach,” said Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley.

As Reuters reports, security experts think that the stolen payment card data could be used to fabricate false magnetic strip credit cards. And the personal information could be sold on underground exchanges for use in email “phishing” campaigns, aimed at persuading victims to hand over even more sensitive information, such as bank account numbers.

The company said it doesn’t know how many customers have found fraudulent charges on their credit or debit cards, but individual stories and lawsuits are beginning to crop up across the country.

The company said customers won’t be liable for the cost of any fraudulent charges that stemmed from the breach. Target said it will try to contact customers it has email addresses for to provide tips on how to safeguard against consumer scams. The company said it won’t ask customers for any personal information during its email communications.

It’s also offering a year of free credit monitoring and identity theft protection to customers that shopped at its stores. Individuals will have three months to enroll in the program. Target said it will provide more details on that next week, reports the Guardian

The company also announced that its fourth quarter results have been hurt by the breach. Target now expects fourth-quarter earnings per share of $1.20 to $1.30, compared to the previous estimate of $1.50 to $1.60.

The theft from Target’s databases is still the second largest data breach on record, rivalling an incident uncovered in 2007 that saw more than 90 million credit card accounts pilfered from TJX Cos. Inc.

Advertisement

We welcome comments that advance the story directly or with relevant tangential information. We try to block comments that use offensive language, all capital letters or appear to be spam, and we review comments frequently to ensure they meet our standards. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of TheBlogIsMine.

The Most Stunning Submissions in 2015 Sony World Photography Awards [Big Picture]

Talented photographers shared their expreiences and we enjoy their work.

Advertisement
Advertisement