Paul Walker Death: What Will Happen to ‘Fast & Furious 7’?

It is not known how Paul Walker’s death will affect further production of the next part of the famous franchise “Fast & Furious.”

“Fast & Furious 7” production was suspended after the death of its leading actor Paul Walker in a terrible car accident on Sunday. Photo: Best Movie Ever News/Flickr

The shocking and tragic death of actor Paul Walker has left many “Fast and Furious” fans stunned and wondering of the further fate of the mavie the actor was involved into.

Paul Walker, best known for his performing first-class racer Bryan O’Conner, will leave a big gap in the story, writes Latin Post.

“Fast & Furious 7” was in production and had been alsready scheduled to hit the U.S. theaters on July 11th, when its leading character Paul Walker died in a car crash on Saturday afternoon.

The next part of the popular franchise was filming in Atlanta and the cast was set to return to shooting on Sunday, after the Thanksgiving break.

James Wan and Universal executives held a conference call Sunday morning instead, to discuss “whether rewrites would be necessary and how to proceed in a manner that would be respectful to Walker’s death”.

Walker, who passed away at the age of 40, was a favorite on the set of the ‘Fast and Furious’ movies, and his sudden and tragic death has left his fellow stars, including Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson, and the crew devastated.

Sources familiar with the matter revealed to reporters that a large part of the film had been already shot, although in January, Walker and the rest the cast were scheduled to travel to Abu Dhabi to film additional scenes.

“All of us at Universal are heartbroken,” a studio spokesperson said in a statement Saturday night. “Paul was truly one of the most beloved and respected members of our studio family for 14 years, and this loss is devastating to us, to everyone involved with the Fast and Furious films, and to countless fans. We send our deepest and most sincere condolences to Paul’s family.”

In a best-case scenario for the just-show movie is editing and writing, how to give Walker’s character both a meaty part and a graceful exit, and the movie becomes not only a  hit but also a touching tribute to its late actor, a la “Enough Said” and James Gandolfini.

However, there are also far more troublesome scenarios. In one of them, Bryan O’Conner leaves the movie only with a small part in the finished film, as the footage shot doesn’t allow for him to figure in.

“Another scenario would be to junk everything that has been done and start over, though with Walker’s importance to the franchise and the people working on it, it’s hard to see it breaking this way; they’d want him in the film in some capacity, any way they can,” The Los Angeles Times writes.

Whether the movie directors already have a plan, Universal and other producers aren’t revealed to the media. The delay looks likely to keep going into this week and possibly beyond, suggesting there isn’t a quick fix.

And as for now, the Universal filming studio declined to comment on the future of “Fast and Furious 7”.

Share this article

We welcome comments that advance the story directly or with relevant tangential information. We try to block comments that use offensive language, all capital letters or appear to be spam, and we review comments frequently to ensure they meet our standards. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Coinspeaker Ltd.