The new part of the well-known franscise will star the 41-year-old actor, Warner Bros. announced today.
“We knew we needed an extraordinary actor to take on one of DC Comics’ most enduringly popular Super Heroes (sic), and Ben Affleck certainly fits that bill, and then some,” Greg Silverman, president of creative development and worldwide production for Warner Bros., said in a statement posted to the Warner Bros. Facebook page.
“His outstanding career is a testament to his talent and we know he and Zack will bring new dimension to the duality of this character.”
The studio said the actor will join Henry Cavill, who will star as Superman from “Man of Steel.” The movie will feature the stars from the previous part of the franscise such as Amy Adams as Lois Lane, Laurence Fishburne as Perry White and Diane Lane as Martha Kent.
The superhero mash-up was first mentioned by director Zack Snyder during Comic-Con International in San Diego last month.
Snyder, who will direct the sequel of the movie, suggested that Affleck will provide an “interesting counter-balance” to Cavill’s Clark Kent.
“(Affleck) has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne,” said Snyder. “I can’t wait to work with him.”
“Ben provides an interesting counter-balance to Henry’s Superman,” Snyder continued, adding: “He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne. I can’t wait to work with him.”
Production on the film which is not titled yet is expected to begin in 2014 for release July 17, 2015.
By the way, the ‘Man of Steel’ sequel will not be Affleck’s first time in superhero garb. He performed a part in a blind Marvel crime fighter in 2003’s “Daredevil” and portrayed 1950s Superman actor George Reeves in 2006’s “Hollywoodland.”
Affleck’s “Argo” won the Academy Award for best picture earlier this year.
“And the Oscar goes to ‘Argo,’” the First Lady, who presented the award to the winner, decked out in a stunning Naeem Khan custom beaded, tulle and metallic sequin gown, announced.
This year’s movies “made us laugh, made us weep and grip our armrests just a little bit tighter,” she said.
“They reminded us we can overcome any obstacles if we dig deep enough and hard enough. They are especially important for young people.
Every day they engage in the arts, they learn to open their imaginations … and strive to reach those dreams.”
“Argo’s” win was remarkable because it was only the fourth film in the Oscars’ 85-year history to win Best Picture without a corresponding Best Director nomination.
Affleck seemed thankful and nervous when he took the microphone after the film won. It was the second Academy Award for Affleck, who scored his first in 1997 for co-writing “Good Will Hunting” with buddy Matt Damon.
“I want to thank our friends in Iran living in a terrible circumstance right now,” he said.
“I want to thank my wife [actress Jennifer Garner], who I don’t normally associate with Iran, but I want to thank you for working on our marriage. … It is work, but it’s the best kind of work and there’s no one I’d rather work with.”
Affleck, a producer on the film, gave an emotional acceptance speech that ended with a simple message: “It doesn’t matter how you get knocked down in life, all that matters is how you get back up.”