Comic-Con 2013: Superman and Batman Will Meet in ‘Man of Steel’ Sequel

Warner Bros. is about to bring together two of its most iconic heroes: Superman and Batman will unite in a new film, the follow-up to “Man of Steel,” set for release in 2015.

Superman and Batman will face off. Says Director Zack Snyder, “let’s face it, it’s beyond mythological to have Superman and our new Batman facing off, since they are the greatest Superheroes in the world.” Photo: Twitter

Warner Brothers announced Saturday at San Diego Comic Con that the studio would be bringing its two biggest superheroes — Superman and Batman — together for the first time onto the big screen in the sequel to “Man of Steel.”

Following nearly two hours of promotion,”Man of Steel” director Zack Snyder walked on stage and announced that a sequel to “Man of Steel” was happening.

He then called out actor Harry Lennix, who co-starred in the recent Superman film, to read a section of Frank Miller’s “The Dark Knight Returns”: “I want you to remember, Clark, in all the years to come, in all your most private moments, I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you.”

Behind Lennix, a screen showed the famous Superman logo with the equally famous Batman logo lurking in the background.

“Man of Steel” director Zack Snyder is expected to reunite with screenwriter David S. Goyer and star Henry Cavill for the new film. It’s unlikely Christian Bale will step back into the bat suit, as the actor has indicated publicly that he has moved on from his days as Bruce Wayne.

“We were incredibly fortunate to get to make three [Batman films]. That’s enough. Let’s not get greedy,” Bale told Entertainment Weekly’s EW earlier this month.

“Chris always said he wanted to make it one film at a time. And we ended up sitting there looking at each other, saying ‘We’re about to make the third.’ We never really knew if we were going to get to be there, but if that was how it was going to be, this was where it should end as well.”

While technically a sequel to “Man of Steel,” which earned $630 million worldwide to date, the as-of-yet untitled movie is the next step to a much-anticipated “Justice League” movie — the studio’s answer to Marvel’s “Avengers,” says the NY Daily News.

“I’m so excited to begin working again with Henry Cavill in the world we created, and I can’t wait to expand the DC Universe in this next chapter,” Snyder said in a statement. “Let’s face it, it’s beyond mythological to have Superman and our new Batman facing off, since they are the greatest Superheroes in the world.”

The current hit, “Man of Steel,” has taken in more than $630 million at the worldwide box office to date, and climbing. Along with its star, Henry Cavill, the upcoming film brings back Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane.

The new Batman has yet to be cast. Snyder is co-writing the story with David S. Goyer, who will then pen the screenplay. Production is expected to begin in 2014, with an anticipated release date in Summer 2015.

The new film brings back Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder as producers. This time, Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas are serving as executive producers, along with Benjamin Melniker and Michael E. Uslan, writes Indiewire.

The studio previously had a “Batman vs. Superman” movie in the works several years ago, with “The Perfect Storm’s” Wolfgang Petersen attached to direct, but the project never overcame the kryptonite of development hell. Instead, Warner Bros. opted to give Bryan Singer the green-light for 2006’s “Superman Returns.”

Share this article

We welcome comments that advance the story directly or with relevant tangential information. We try to block comments that use offensive language, all capital letters or appear to be spam, and we review comments frequently to ensure they meet our standards. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Coinspeaker Ltd.