For the first time sinceÂ the policeman who fatally shot their son was found not guilty by a Florida court, Trayvon Martin’s parents, came into light to discuss their reaction to the verdict.
WhileÂ peaceful protests and demonstrartions were being held all over the country to show the nations’s support for the family, Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin remained silent.
However, the couple couldn’t keep silent more during an interview with “CBS This Morning”, revealing to the host that they were stunned by the jury’s decision.
“I was in a bit of shock,” the teen’s mother said. “I thought surely that he would be found guilty of second-degree murder, manslaughter at the least. But I just knew that they would see that this was a teenager just trying to get home. This was no burglar. This was somebody’s son that was trying to get home.”
When asked about the prospect of racial profiling, the woman replied that she and her husband didn’t know any details of the case, including the suspect’s calls to 911 and the fact that authorities were looking for a young black male.
“Trayvon was simply not that person,” she said. “Trayvon was not a burglar, he was not doing anything wrong. He simply went to the store and was headed back home. And for somebody to look at him and perceive that he was a burglar, that was the problem that initiated everything.”
Funton also commented remarks made by juror B-37, who recently told Anderson CooperÂ she felt Trayvon could be named the one who was responsible for his own death.
Trayvon’s mother said the woman did not know her child to held a teenager responsible for his actions over an adult, The Huffington Post reports.
Martin family attorney, Benjamin Crump, said the couple is currently trying to discover which legal options they have and asking the Department of Justice to investigate whether or not the teen’s civil rights were violated.
If the familyÂ chooses to pursue a wrongful death suit against Zimmerman, the policeman would be likely to respond to allegations.
While he used his right not to testify at his criminal trial, a civil case could force him to take the stand and finally reveal to a cort what happened that fatal evening.
Although U.S. President Barack Obama hasn’t yet given any comments on the issue,Â leaving the investigation up to the DOJ, Fulton said she hopes the federal government will at least comb through the evidence of the case to determine the possibility of a civil rights violation.
“At least go through it with a fine-toothed comb,” she said. “And just make sure the T’s were crossed and the I’s were dotted.”
Last weekÂ George Zimmerman was not guilty of second-degree murder and manslaughter Saturday night in a case that has received national response.
After a four-week series of hearing and testimony, more than a dozen witnesses and a host of controversy, Zimmerman walked out of court a free man.