Boston Marathon Bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Awake and Responding to Questions in Writing

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings, is reportedly awake and responding in writing to questions from authorities.

The 19-year-old suspect, remains unable to speak following his gunshot wound, officials have said, adding that they are now intend to find out what turned two brothers into Islamic terrorists. Photo: Boaz Guttman/Flickr

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the suspect in the Boston bombings, is “serious but stable. I think not able to communicate yet,” Deval Patrick, the Massachusetts governor said after attending a tribute to the victims of bomb attacks that killed three people.

According to the media, investigators say that Tsarnaev, who is being treated at hospital at the moment, suffered two serious wounds and had lost a lot of blood. They also suppose that one wound in the back of his neck could have been a suicide attempt.

Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said: “It’s hard to know how he received that injury. That’s being looked into.” He also suffered a gunshot in the leg.

“They say it appears from the wound that he might have stuck a gun in his mouth and fired,” said a report, which added that Tsarnaev could understand what those around him were saying.

The authorities had expressed fears that his injuries would leave him unable to answer their questions, however, today reports have surfaced claiming that the teen had started responding sporadically in writing.

But Boston Police Commissioner told reporters that he could not confirm that: “We’re very anxious to talk to him and the investigators will be doing that as soon as possible.”

Authorities believe that the suspect will shed light on why he and his brother attacked the Boston Marathon. They have reportedly asked him whether there are other cell members  and for information on any unexploded bombs.

Mr Davis and mayor have both said they believed the brothers were on their own. “I am confident that they were the two major actors in the violence that occurred,” Davis said on Sunday.

Edward Deveau, the police chief in Watertown, where the brothers were caught, said that they acted alone. “I believe it is limited to the two brothers,” he said. “As far as this little cell, this little group, goes, I think we got our guys.”

Mr Deveau also revealed a few dramatic details of the shoot-out, in which Dzohar brother, Tamerlan was killed, and revealed how, in the chaos, his death was caused by the teen.

As The Telegraph writes, a single officer was first to meet the suspects at 12.30am local time on Friday in a residential street in a suburb of Boston. They were in two separate vehicles, including a four-wheel-drive Mercedes they had carjacked.

Chief Deveau said: “They jump out of the cars and unload on our police officer. They both came out shooting. Shooting guns, handguns. He’s under direct fire, very close by. He has to jam it in reverse and try to get himself a little distance.”

After the officer had called for reinforcements, 200 shots were fired in 10 minutes. One of the brothers threw exploding devices including a pressure cooker bomb which landed on a car.

Tamerlan later broke cover and walked directly at officers firing a gun. The police chief said: “They were having a gunfight 10 feet apart. And then for us, thank God, he ran out of ammunition. He runs out of ammunition, the bad guy, and so one of my police officers comes off the side and tackles him in the street.”

Doctors said Tamerlan had injuries “head to toe”. There were so many they did not know which one had killed him.

Share this article

We welcome comments that advance the story directly or with relevant tangential information. We try to block comments that use offensive language, all capital letters or appear to be spam, and we review comments frequently to ensure they meet our standards. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Coinspeaker Ltd.