FBI Releases Photos of Two Boston Bomb Suspects [Video]

Investigators released pictures of two suspects in the Boston Marathon bombing on Thursday, seeking the public’s help in identifying two backpack-toting men photographed on the crowded sidewalk on Monday before bombs exploded near the finish line.

Authorities released photographs of two individuals – identified as “Suspect 1” and “Suspect 2” – wanted in connection to the pair of deadly blasts at the Boston Marathon finish line Monday.

“Somebody out there knows these individuals as friends, neighbors, co-workers or family members of the suspects,” Richard DesLauriers, the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation’s special agent in charge in Boston, told a news conference.

“Though it may be difficult, the nation is counting on those with information to come forward and provide it to us,” he said.

The images, revealed from behind two black poster boards, show the two individuals walking through a crowd near Boylston Street moments before the terror attack, which killed three people and wounded at least 180 others.

However, it should be noted, that the only legitimate footage is the one that FBI released, said Richard DesLauriers.

“Other photos should not be deemed credible,” he added.

“Suspect 1” is wearing a dark hat, “Suspect 2” is wearing a white hat.

“They appear to be associated,” DesLauriers said. “Suspect 2” dropped a backpack at the site of the second explosion in front of the Forum restaurant and proceeded west, he added.

DesLauriers’s words were effectively aimed at Reddit and 4chan, where some users have been attempting to identify suspects in crowdsourced images and video. Reddit has since deleted its earlier efforts, reports Mashable.

The FBI released a 30-second video of the two men, one walking behind the other, that edited together three different angles. The video appeared to have been taken from security cameras.

A picture of both men in the same frame was taken at 2:37 p.m., about 13 minutes before the two explosions tore through the crowd that had been cheering on finishers of the race.

Just hours after the FBI released the first photos of suspects in the Boston Marathon bombing, a new photo of Suspect 2 may have emerged.

David Green, 49, of Jacksonville, Fla., had just completed his first Boston Marathon, when he snapped a picture with his iPhone 4S, taken at 2:50, just after the two blasts ripped through the finish line area, killing three people and injuring more than 180 others.

The FBI has not publicly confirmed this photo as Suspect 2, but Green told the Huffington Post that an agent told him, “this is probably the best we have right now.”

Green got in touch with the FBI tonight and said he spoke with multiple agents. He specifically asked if they were OK with him publishing the photo publicly to his Facebook page and he was told it was fine. So he posted it again.

Still Boston can’t rest from all the mayhem happening in the city.

Violent incidents early Friday, including the shooting death of a college police officer, kept Bostonians on edge just days after the bombing of the iconic Boston Marathon.

Authorities warned people in Watertown not to leave their homes and not to answer the door. During the night a university police officer was killed, a transit police officer was wounded, and the suspects carjacked a vehicle before leading police on a chase that ended with one suspect shot dead.

Share This article

We welcome comments that advance the story directly or with relevant tangential information. We try to block comments that use offensive language, all capital letters or appear to be spam, and we review comments frequently to ensure they meet our standards. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Coinspeaker Ltd.