Beyonce and Jay-Z are being criticized for vacationing in Cuba.
Jay-Z and Beyonce are clueless about the tortures happening in Cuba, and it’s insulting they chose to visit the communist country for a celebration … so says a Cuban rights lobbyist.
Mauricio Claver-Carone, the D.C. director for the US-Cuba Democracy PAC – a group committed to fighting for democracy in Cuba – tells TMZ the A-listers should’ve educated themselves about what’s really going on there before taking photo ops.
Mauricio says he’s disappointed the superstars chose to vacay in Cuba because, “There are women getting beaten on a daily basis, women who are being jailed for no reason … people are fighting for their freedom. It’s extremely insensitive.”
News of the visit spread when Beyonce and Jay-Z were photographed in Havana earlier this week, dining at local restaurants and touring historical locations. But it remains unclear why they chose to visit the region to celebrate their April 4 wedding anniversary.
US citizens are still technically banned from traveling to the island purely for tourism … and are supposed to obtain a travel license from the US government.
Travelers can visit the country legally by obtaining a “cultural exchange” license, however.
In 2012 the Obama administration lifted some of the restrictions on travel to Cuba, instituting a “people-to-people” travel program that requires a strict itinerary for vacationers, writes CNN Politics.
“Each traveler must have a full-time schedule of educational exchange activities that will result in meaningful interaction between the travelers and individuals in Cuba,” U.S. Treasury Department guidelines read.
Besides, two Republican lawmakers are asking a government agency to look into a recent trip to Cuba by Beyoncé and Jay-Z, suggesting the superstar couple violated restrictions on travel to the communist island.
“Despite the clear prohibition against tourism in Cuba, numerous press reports described the couple’s trip as tourism, and the Castro regime touted it as such in its propaganda,” Reps. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen and Mario Diaz-Balart, both of Florida, wrote in the letter to the Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control.
In their letter the Treasury Department, Ros-Lehtinen and Diaz-Balart noted their connection to “a community of many who have been deeply and personally harmed by the Castro regime’s atrocities, including former political prisoners and the families of murdered innocents.”
“The restrictions on tourism travel are common-sense measures meant to prevent U.S. dollars from supporting a murderous regime that opposes U.S. security interests at every turn and which ruthlessly suppresses the most basic liberties of speech, assembly, and belief,” they wrote.
“We support the Cuban people by refusing to sustain their jailers.”
However, the U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control, which approves travel to the country, would not comment on Beyonce and Jay-Z’s individual case.
This is not the first time the “Love On Top” singer has offended in recent weeks.
When Beyonce, who has recently referred to herself as a “modern day feminist,”released her newest single, “Bow Down/I Been On,” on March 17, she was criticized for the song’s seemingly misogynistic lyrics, reports Huff Post.