Teenage Student Wounded in Atlanta Middle School Shooting [Video]

A 14-year-old student suffered a gunshot wound to the head Thursday outside a middle school in Atlanta, Georgia, police and school officials said.

A student opened fire at his middle school Thursday afternoon, wounding a 14-year-old in the neck before an armed officer working at the school was able to get the gun away, police said.

A  student was shot in the neck at a southeast Atlanta middle school Thursday but is said to be OK, according to his family.

Police said the teen – now identified by family members as 8th grader Telvis Douglas – was shot in the back of the neck and immediately transported to Grady Memorial Hospital for treatment, 11Alive reports.

Douglas was reportedly awake and responsive while being transported to the hospital, and the injuries are non-life threatening, says the Huff Post.

His mother spoke to Channel 2’s Tom Jones from Grady Hospital, where her son is recovering. She said the bullet went through some tissue in the back of her son’s head and came out. Douglas was released from the hospital late Thursday night.

Douglas’ mother said he told her he was in between classes when another student he recognized approached him, started “talking smack” and pulled out a gun. She said he turned to run when he was shot from behind.

APS Superintendent Erroll Davis held a news conference shortly after 5 p.m., saying police and school officials quickly contained the situation.

Atlanta Public Schools Superintendent Erroll Davis and Police Chief George Turner said  that the shooter was disarmed and taken into custody minutes after the incident by an off-duty Atlanta police officer.

Turner  said the off-duty police officer, who was armed, works at Price Middle School as a so-called resource officer, providing security, reports Reuters.

Davis said a teacher’s aide was slightly injured in the confusion that followed the shooting, but he offered no further details.

“When the children, of course, given all that has gone on in so many schools in this country, when they hear gunfire, they tend to panic, they tend to run,” Davis said. “If you fall down, you tend to get trampled, and I believe that’s what happened.”

Police said they did not know how the shooter got his gun or what his motive was, but Turner said charges would be filed against him.

Investigators believe the shooting was not random and that something occurred between the two students that may have led to it. The shooter has not been identified.

Schools Superintendent Erroll Davis said the school does have metal detectors.

“The obvious question is, ‘How did this get past a metal detector?’ That’s something we don’t know as of yet,” said Davis.

Police swarmed the school of about 400 students after reports of the shooting while a crowd of anxious parents gathered in the streets, awaiting word on their children. Students were kept at the locked-down school for more than two hours before being dismissed.

At 4:45 p.m. students were loaded onto buses and reunited with their families at a church less than two blocks from the school.

A national debate has raged over gun control in the United States since the shooting deaths of 20 children and six adults at a Connecticut elementary school in December.

Share This article

We welcome comments that advance the story directly or with relevant tangential information. We try to block comments that use offensive language, all capital letters or appear to be spam, and we review comments frequently to ensure they meet our standards. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Coinspeaker Ltd.