Following the Sandy Hook Elementary in Connecticut shooting in Connecticut three weeks ago, a Colombian businessman decided to focus not on the weapons, but on designing protective gear.
Company owner Miguel Caballero revealed that he never thought about making protective clothes for kids until requests came in the wake of the recent shooting which has taken life of dozens of people.
“After the tragedy in Connecticut, we started getting emails from customers asking for protected (clothing) because they were afraid to take their kids to school,” Caballero said.
“We have received messages from all over the United States,” seeking the protective gear, added Giovanni Cordero, the company’s marketing director.
the company plans to offer child-sized armoured vests, protective undershirts and backpacks with ballistic protection that can be used as shields, reports The Province.
The products are designed for children from 8 to 16 years old and will reportedly cost $150-$600 depending on the complexity of their construction. Each piece weighs 2-4 pounds.
“The products were created with the American market in mind, not for the Latino market,” said Caballero. “All the designs and colours, everything is thought out with them in mind.”
The entrepreneur also revealed to reporters that the bullet-proof backpack and vest has already been ordered by a US distributor, which he did not want to disclose for security reasons.
However, there are doubts whether the highly expected bullet-proof items will be the real deal. Carolina Ballesteros, Caballero’s director of research and development, threw out some high-profile customers to back up its safety claims.
“Three royal families in the Middle East are customers of ours. We made a bullet-proof kimono for the American actor Steven Seagal. Our experience is beyond question,” she explained.
By the way, the Newtown’s bloody rampage has previously sparked a surge in gun sales, independent arms dealers across the nation reported last month.
After the Newtown’s shooting, restarted talks over gun control can influence consumer demand for guns.
According to industry experts, fears that stricter laws will follow such incidents push people to stock up on firearms before regulators can clamp down, The Huffington Post reports.
However, this weekend’s spike in business was unprecedented, gun shop owners in California, Connecticut and North Carolina claim.
Larry Hyatt, who owns of North Carolina-based Hyatt Gun Shop, which is said to be America’s largest independently owned gun store, revealed he had so many queues on Saturday, that he had to call in extra salespeople.
“We already have tons of customers because of Christmas, hunting season is peaking right now, and not to mention, the election,” Hyatt said.
“But this tragedy is pushing sales through the roof,” he added. “It’s like putting gasoline on a fire,” he added.
Moreover, nearly seven in 10 Americans support the idea of placing strong or moderate limits gun ownership, a Reuters/Ipsos poll suggests.
The Reuters reports, that survey found that 48 percent of respondents agreed that “gun ownership should have strong regulations or restrictions.”
Meanwhile, 69 percent and 68 percent either strongly supported or somewhat supported laws allowing law-abiding citizens to get a concealed-weapon permit and “laws allowing citizens to use deadly force to protect themselves from danger in public places,” respectively.
About 1,477 Americans were surveyed online between December 23 and 27. It emphasized that there is a problem with U.S. policymakers: gun control laws enjoy fervent support in the abstract, but laws preserving specific gun ownership privileges are also well liked.
Also about four in 10 Americans agreed with allowing law-abiding citizens to bring a firearm into a “church, workplace, or retail establishment,” according to the poll. Several states currently ban guns in such places.