For Second Time in Month, Man Pushed to Death in New York Subway

A man was shoved in front of an oncoming train in the New Yourk subway by a woman who attacked him without warning.

A woman fled a Queens subway station after fatally pushing a man in front of an oncoming train. Photo: Michael/Flickr

Police is searching for a woman who pushed a man to his death in front of a subway train on Thursday night, the second time this month such nightmarish fashion has occurred.

Sunando Sun was waiting on the 7 train platform at the 40th Street stationat just after 8 p.m. Thursday, when an unknown woman shoved him in front of an oncoming train, police reports.

The woman, who remained at large Friday morning, was apparently mumbling to herself and pacing on the platform before the attack, police said.

“Witnesses said she was walking back and forth on the platform, talking to herself, before taking a seat alone on a wooden bench near the north end of the platform,” NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said in a statement.

“When the train pulled into the station, the suspect rose from the bench and pushed the man, who was standing with his back to her, onto the tracks into the path of the train. The victim appeared not to notice her.”

“We haven’t determined whether it was random or if there was some connection yet,” Browne added, “but there was nothing from what the witnesses could see to indicate that they knew each other and he did not, according to the witnesses, appear to realize that she was approaching.”

New York police has already released a video of the woman Friday morning that apparently shows her leaving the station in a hurry a few moments after the incident.

The murderer was described as heavy-set , standing about 5-foot-5 woman with light hair. She was wearing a blue, gray and white ski jacket and Nike sneakers.

“She jumps from the stairs and she just runs,” said one of the witnesses, describing the video he provided to detectives. He said he did not recognize the woman.

“I’m sure they are going to get her,” he said. “There are a lot of sick people out there — mentally ill. It’s very sad,” he said.

As DNA Info reports, police officers were at 40th Street station Friday distributing safety leaflets to commuters that warned riders to be alert while waiting for and riding trains.

“All of us at the MTA feel terrible about what happened,” MTA Chairman Joseph Lhota said in an unrelated press conference. “We are working very closely with police.”

Earlier this month, Ki-Suk Han, 58, of Elmhurst, Queens, died in a similar case by a downtown Q train at the 49th St.-Seventh Ave. station after being tossed by a stranger onto the tracks following an argument.

The killer was soon identified as Naeem Davis, 30, and he was later charged with second-degree murder in the deadly altercation.

On Friday, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg was asked whether the recent attacks might be related to the increase of mentally ill people on the streets of the city.

“The courts or the law have changed and said, no, you can’t do that unless they’re a danger to society. Our laws protect you,” Bloomberg said on his weekly radio show.

Share this article

We welcome comments that advance the story directly or with relevant tangential information. We try to block comments that use offensive language, all capital letters or appear to be spam, and we review comments frequently to ensure they meet our standards. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Coinspeaker Ltd.