‘Star Wars’ Update: Writers Found for ‘Episodes VIII’ and ‘IX’

The new Star Wars trilogy may await the appointment of director and cast, but the writers who are set to return us to the world of Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi are now reportedly in place.

Following on last week’s official announcement that Toy Story 3’s Michael Arndt is to oversee the screenplay for 2015’s Star Wars: Episode VII, the Hollywood Reporter says Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg have been appointed to write the two subsequent movies in Disney’s planned triptych. Photo: Lucasfilm Ltd.

Last month was extremely busy for the world of Star Wars movies. Not so long time ago Disney has acquired George Lucas‘ Lucasfilm Ltd for $4.05 billion, and that includes rights to the Star Wars franchise that will now continue on.

The new Star Wars trilogy may await the appointment of director and cast, but the writers who are set to return us to the world of Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi are now in place.

The force is especially strong with Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg. The two screenwriters have been tapped to write “Star Wars: Episode VIII” and “Episode IX”, as they will also come aboard to produce the films. The exact division of responsibilities within the two is yet to be determined.

Last week it has also been announced that Oscar-winning writer Michael Arndt (“Toy Story 3,” “Little Miss Sunshine,” “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire”) is to oversee the screenplay for 2015’s Star Wars: Episode VII. Arndt has penned a 40- to 50-page treatment for the film, and the treatment is not just for “Episode VII” but for the next three movies, reports Blog.zap2it.com.

Hollywoodreporter.com writes the first of the new trilogy and the first Star Wars film to be made without the hands-on input of creator George Lucas.

Word of Kasdan and Kinsberg’s involvement began spilling out Tuesday, but Disney and Lucasfilm are declining to comment. According to the studio, the official announcements regarding the new Star Wars will be posted on StarWars.com.

Actually it is terrific to see Lawrence Kasdan in particular on board again. He is no stranger to the Lucasfilm universe and has a great history with it, given that he wrote or co-wrote 1980’s The Empire Strikes Back, which is considered to be still considered the movie series’ zenith, as well as 1983’s Return of the Jedi and he wrote the script for Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Furthermore, Simon Kinberg is hardly a shabby choice either. Amongst his screenplays are those for X-Men: First Class, Sherlock Holmes and X-Men: The Last Stand. He’s penned the upcoming X-Men: Days Of Future Past and Kingerg is also producing Cinderella for Disney.

Back in the late 1970s, Star Wars makers set the example of fantastic visual effects in science fiction. And now in the age of such advanced movies like The Hobbit, The Dark Knight and Avatar doing that again is very difficult. But Disney was certainly proven right when it spent the same money on Marvel, and already has made back much of that cash with The Avengers.

The studio wants Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Han Solo in the film, though no deals have been made with the original actors. But it has been recently reported that Harrison Ford would be up for returning to the series, and Carrie Fisher told TMZ that she would definitely want in.

Also the rumor had it that British director Matthew Vaughn was to be in talks to helm the first film in the new trilogy, while Brad Bird, Steven Spielberg and Star Trek’s JJ Abrams have all ruled themselves out, says The Guardian.

Share this article

We welcome comments that advance the story directly or with relevant tangential information. We try to block comments that use offensive language, all capital letters or appear to be spam, and we review comments frequently to ensure they meet our standards. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Coinspeaker Ltd.