Google has cancelled its highly anticipated big Android event in New York on October 29, due to Hurricane Sandy.
In an email sent to press, the company gave a crisp explanation, saying: “We are cancelling our Monday morning event in New York due to Hurricane Sandy. We will let you know our plans as soon as we know more.”
As the hurricane was gathering force, Google faced a wave of questions whether it would continue with the event as planned.
However, according to the reports, the waterfront pier where the event had been scheduled is now in an evacuation zone. Yesterday, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo declared a state of emergency and city officials considered evacuating as many as 375,000 New Yorkers, claims CNET.
“As we prepare for the possibility of Hurricane Sandy hitting New York State, I am activating all levels of state government to prepare for any potential impacts,” Governor Cuomo said.
“We are working with federal and local partners to follow storm developments and organize a coordinated response plan.”
He continued: “With unpredictable weather conditions, we are taking the greatest precautions – especially after our experience from last year’s storms. I urge New Yorkers to plan for hurricane conditions and follow news reports to stay updated on the storm’s progress.”
New York Mayor Bloomberg said he’d make a decision about evacuations in low-lying areas in all five boroughs as soon as Saturday.
“We are taking all the steps that we need to take,” Bloomberg said during a hastily called afternoon press conference on Friday. “But the storm is moving at a rate that we’re still not going to have a good sense of when and where it’s going to hit land,” he added.
Still, the searching company assured that it would let reporters know as soon as the event was rescheduled.
Google fans may be upset, but Microsoft will surely be more than content about the news, as it has its own Windows Phone event on that day on the West Coast, in San Francisco. There is mercifully no storm on this side of the country.
Hurricane Sandy has made its way through the Caribbean on Friday, leaving behind a path of destruction and 43 people dead. It has already been named as one of the worst and powerful storms in history, and New York and New Jersey are already warned of being reached by potentially deadly weather.
The storm is predicted to affect between 50 million and 60 million people, emergency management and weather officials warned Saturday afternoon.
The disaster will reportedly affect the eastern part of the country, flooding around Maryland and Pennsylvania and up to two feet of snow in West Virginia, predicted Louis Uccellini, director of the National Centers for Environmental Prediction.
“This is not just going to be a coastal event,” said Rick Knabb, director of the National Hurricane Center. “Virginia northward should prepare for weather to go downhill over the weekend.”
This is the second year in a row the tech giant had to cancel a Nexus launch. Google canceled the Galaxy Nexus announcement last year shortly after Steve Jobs died out of respect, The Business Insider informs.