The schoolgirl and her teacher disappeared a week ago and were found in a hotel in Bordeaux where the two spent one night.
Forrest registered for a double room under a false name of “Jack Grant” and when asked about his companion, the man replied: “She’s waiting outside.”
A hotel’s employee, who wished to remain anonymous, revealed to reporters that the couple were “discreet” and “not particularly amorous”.
“They arrived on September 21 late afternoon and left Saturday morning but I did not know at all that they were illegal,” he said.
The manager said Forrest, who registered ‘Jack Grant’, swears that he’d never suppose that Stammers was a minor.
“She didn’t look 15 years old, but rather 18 to 20 while he seemed a bit younger than 30,” he said.
“What intrigued me was that he came in alone, booked a double room and when I asked him where she was he told me, ‘She’s waiting outside’, which is not how things are done generally.”
The manager went on, adding that he saw them next morning paying cash while in the lobby but “they didn’t talk a lot to each other.”
Forrest had avoided using his bank or credit cards for fear of being found, the police report.
The eloped escaped from Britain by car, which has been abandoned in Paris and completed the 400-mile journey to southwest France by train.
As The Telegraph reports, on arriving in Bordeaux, Forrest had begun to look for cash-in-hand bar work and the couple were arrested as they headed for a job interview at around noon yesterday.
the man appeared in court last night and was remanded in custody at Gradignan prison. A witness who watched Forrest leaving the court session said:
“He looked like a broken man. I think it had finally hit him that whatever fantasy of a romantic future with Megan he’d once held had finally evaporated.”
He continued: “He was utterly dejected. He looked sallow and downcast, his eyes blank and lifeless. He looked bedraggled, unshaven and completely dispirited.”
Meanwhile, Megan is expected to return home to the Great Britain today more than a week after she went missing.
Her mother, Danielle Wilson, is reported to travell to the South of France to accompany her daughter back home to Eastbourne, East Sussex.
Family members, who had been distraught since their 15-year-old daughter went missing on Thursday last week, said they were “over the moon” she had been found safe and well.
Her step-father, said: “Danielle and I are so relieved that Megan has been found safe and well and we just can’t wait to be reunited with her. Our family are overjoyed.”
“As time goes on you despair even more, but knowing Megan, knowing the girl she is, I always had that belief that she was strong enough within herself to remain safe and well.”
Megan was taken into police protection and sent to hospital for medical checks.