Chris Brown and Drake Sued for $16m Over Nightclub Fight

Drake and Chris Brown have been hit by a $16m (£10.2m) lawsuit after a brawl between the pair and their entourages at the WiP nightclub on 14 June.

Chris Brown and Drake are now a team — both are defendants in a lawsuit just filed by people connected to the nightclub which was the site of the June 14th, bottle throwing, bloody brawl. Photo: Doopie613/Flickr

The lawsuit has been brought by the owners of joint clubs Greenhouse and WiP, who claim that the fight – which left seven people injured – caused Greenhouse to lose a licensing deal worth $4m. Both venues also temporarily lost their liquor licence in the aftermath of the melee, reports Guardian.

Entertainment Enterprises, which is registered to club owner Jon Bakhshi, filed the lawsuit, saying it owns the federal trademark to “Greenhouse.”

According to the lawsuit, before the June 14 dust-up, Entertainment Enterprises had reached an “agreement-in-principle” with another business to license the Greenhouse name and brand to nightclubs around the country.

“[The business] was primarily interested in the cachet and prestige associated with the Greenhouse marks,” the lawsuit says.

According to The Huff Post, Entertainment Enterprises claims the interested party called off the deal when it learned of the musicians’ melee, “explaining that the Greenhouse marks were now associated with the kind of violent, life-threatening riot engaged in by [Brown and Drake], and that they were now worthless.”

According to the suit obtained by The NY Post, each man “shared a grudge against the other arising out of their romantic relationships with the same woman,” Brown’s former flame Rihanna, and when they “crossed paths,” they “began to fight violently with each other.”

Drake and Chris Brown “arrived with his own small army of bodyguards, ‘security’ personnel, employees, friends and other members of their entourage, consisting of at least 15 heavily built men trained and/or experienced in hand-to-hand and weapons combat,” says the suit.

The suit also credits the crews of both Drake and Brown with ingenuity, claiming they “fashioned deadly weapons out of whatever materials they could find, including glasses, alcohol bottles and furniture, thereby circumventing the nightclubs’ extensive efforts to ensure a safe environment.”

“Terrorized patrons ran for cover,” the lawsuit says, “using banquettes and tables as improvised shields. Most were unable to protect themselves,” and “several patrons were severely injured, including at least one celebrity,” basketball player Tony Parker.

Parker is currently seeking $20 million after his eye was hit with a shard of glass.

The suit seeks to hold Drake and Brown, neither of whom have been charged criminally, responsible for the scuttled deal and seeks $16 million in damages for their “gross negligence,” “ultrahazardous activity” and “intentional illegal acts.”

In the brawl’s aftermath, the NYPD temporarily shut downboth clubs, which are in the same building. The clubs re-opened after agreeing to pay a fine and hire more security.

Reps for Brown and Drake have previously said he “did not participate in any wrongdoing” and “was on his way out of the club when the altercation began.”

Share this article

We welcome comments that advance the story directly or with relevant tangential information. We try to block comments that use offensive language, all capital letters or appear to be spam, and we review comments frequently to ensure they meet our standards. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Coinspeaker Ltd.