Alexander Kinyua, Maryland Student, Admits Eating Housemate’s Heart, Part of Brain

A Maryland college student has admitted murdering and dismembering a man and then eating his heart and part of his brain.

Alexander Kinyua, left, is suspected of killing and then eating the heart and brain of Kujoe Bonsafo Agyei-Kodie, right. Photo: Hartford County Sheriff's Office

Alexander Kinyua, 21, a Morgan State University student, admitted to murdering his roommate Kujoe Bonsafo Agyei-Kodie, 37, who was reported missing last Friday.

But not only Kinyua killed his roommate, he also dismembered him, ate his body parts, then hid the rest of the head and hands in the basement laundry room, according to Newser.

Kinyua’s father Antony called police late Tuesday night when his another son, Jarrod, reportedly found human remains — a head and two hands — in a metal tin in the basement.

Kinyua’s brother found two metal tins, which held a human head and two human hands. Police say Jarrod confronted his brother, who said the remains were animals.

Jarrod then went upstairs to get his father, according to CNN. When Antony and Jarrod returned to the basement, “the items he observed were gone and … Alex Kinyua was cleaning the container he observed them in.”

More remains were dumped in a trash container outside a church, police said. Kinyua later confessed to killing Agyei-Kodie with a knife then eating his heart and portions of his brain.

“He admitted to killing our missing person, Mr. Kodie, and cutting him up with a knife,” Harford County Sheriff Jesse Bane told reporters Thursday. “He further stated that he consumed Mr. Kodie’s internal organs – specifically his heart and portions of his brain.”

“I’ve been with the agency 40 years, and I would say this is the first time I can remember someone consumed the victim,” said sheriff. “I’ve not encountered that in this county, and I hope we never encounter it again.”

It is still unclear what Kinyua’s motive may have been, writes The Huff Post, but he was charged with first-degree murder on Wednesday. Kinyua’s father reported that Agyei-Kodie went missing last Friday after going for a jog.

Kinyua is a third-year electrical engineering major at Morgan State University and fellow students said his behavior had become increasingly troubled in recent months, Fox News reported.

On May 19, Kinyua beat a man with a baseball bat on Morgan’s campus, fracturing his skull and making him lose sight in one eye. He was arrested May 20 and released on $220,000 bail.

Students familiar with Alex Kinyua said he was well known around campus but regarded as odd, tells The Baltimore Sun.

One of his fellow students, Jasmine Bloomfield, said he was “always in his own little world, preaching everywhere he went and talking about how he was writing a book.”

Kinyua, who was born in Kenya but has lived in Maryland for the past nine years with his family, had also began making threatening online posts, including recent Facebook messages about “mass human sacrifices.”

Agyei-Kodie had lived with Kinyua’s family in Joppa for about six months and did not know anyone else in the area. He had earned multiple master’s degrees from schools in Ghana and was also a graduate student at Morgan State University, even though he wasn’t taking classes there at the time of his death.

Agyei-Kodiehad was dismissed by the university after a 2008 conviction in Baltimore County for a fourth-degree sex offense, harassment and stalking, that resulted in an 18-month jail term.

Antony Kinyua told police that the victim had recently been “depressed” after being apprehended on an immigration warrant and was facing likely deportation.

The horrible case comes in the same week as a similar attack in Miami on Saturday, in which Rudy Eugene, 31, was killed by cops while in the process of chewing off most of a homeless man’s face.

The victim, identified as 65-year-old Ronald Poppo, a homeless man who lived under the causeway, was in critical condition and will be permanently

The victim was in critical condition and will be permanently disfigured. Though he is alive, the bizarre flesh-eating attack left doctors with a puzzle how to put his face back together.

Share this article

We welcome comments that advance the story directly or with relevant tangential information. We try to block comments that use offensive language, all capital letters or appear to be spam, and we review comments frequently to ensure they meet our standards. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Coinspeaker Ltd.