Prosecutors want ‘Captain Coward’ Francesco Schettino jailed for a total of 2,697 years as they made a request to have him sent back to jail, Daily Mail reported today.
The length of sentence was calculated by Italian newspapers, which totted up the jail terms that Capt Francesco Schettino could face if convicted on all the charges that are expected to be brought against him.
Seventeen people lost their lives and at least 17 are still missing after the skipper recklessly changed course and crashed the 114,000-ton liner onto rocks just so that he could carry out a ‘sail by’ salute and impress crew and friends.
According to The Telegraph, he could face an eight year jail sentence for every one of the 300 passengers and crew he allegedly left on the crippled vessel when it grounded on the shores of Giglio island on the night of Jan 13.
He would face an additional 15 years in prison if convicted of manslaughter and another 10 years if found guilty of causing the shipwreck. That makes a grand total of 2,697 years
Schettino, 52, is currently under house arrest while investigators consider charges of multiple manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship following the Costa Concordia liner disaster last month.
A court in Florence on Monday heard a request by prosecutors in the case to have Capt Schettino, removed from house arrest at his home in Naples and returned to prison.
Prosecutors argued that there is a risk he could try to flee the country or interfere with evidence before his trial starts.
But the court also heard from defence lawyers who requested that he be released from house arrest at his home in Meta di Sorrento on the Amalfi Coast and be given bail.
Prosecutors say that the spineless captain then abandoned ship, leaving hundreds of people still onboard, while he reached the safety of dry land on the nearby island of Giglio in a lifeboat.
His legal team pointed to the fact that Schettino had been suspended from his post by the Concordia’s owners Costa Cruises following the disaster.
And they added that the incident was ‘unique and unrepeatable’ proof they said he would not flee justice and tamper with evidence.
“There is no possibility of him committing the crime again because at the moment there is no possibility of him being given command of a ship,” said Salvatore Parascandola, one of Schettino’s lawyers. “We hope that the court will free him.”
After a four-hour hearing, the court said it would make its decision on Thursday (Jan 9). Capt Schettino was not present in court.
Costa have already offered compensation of £9,000 to each holidaymaker affected but many have said they will not accept and instead pursue court action for a higher payout.
Meanwhile newspaper adverts were also published today inviting 4,200 passengers and crew who were on the Concordia to attend a preliminary hearing in Grosseto on March 3.
Twenty three British holidaymakers were on the Concordia but they are not under any legal obligation to attend the hearing which will take place in the town’s theatre as the court building is too small.