The attack was held less than a day after Boko Haram, Nigeria’s Islamist separatist insurgents, said it carried out coordinated bombings that left as many as 160 people dead on Friday night, the Telegraph reports.
Bukata Zhyadi, traditional elder of a Christian ethnic group, explained that nine bodies had been found at dawn on Sunday in the town of Tafawa Balewa in Bauchi state.
“We are going around the town checking [for more],” he said. Twelve people were wounded, he said, adding that witnesses blamed the attack on a Muslim ethnic group.
Nigeria’s president, Goodluck Jonathan, assured that he would take all the necessary actions to find the men who ordered blasts on Friday night in Kano, northern Nigeria’s city.
A series of attacks at police stations, state buildings and on streets, began on Friday afternoon.
SkyNews says, the death toll from a series of terror attacks rose to 178.
Authorities sent a 24-hour curfew in the city, with many people remaining home as soldiers and police patrolled the streets and set up roadblocks.
Shocked residents also wandered the streets, looking for their relatives and friends.
“That’s the scary part, not knowing,” said Faruk Mohammed, 27. “We don’t know what’s going to happen next, no one thought this would ever happen here. There’s a general sense of despair.”
The shootings were heard on various sites including police stations, the passport office, state security headquarters and the immigration office, says CNN.
Besides, during the attacks, terrorists entered a police station, freed detainees and bombed it, authorities revealed.
“I counted at least 25 explosions …,” Mohammed said. “Then it went deathly quiet. Kano is a bustling city … I’ve lived here for years and it has never been quiet, even at night. But after the bombings stopped, the only noise you could hear were dogs barking.”
The number of deaths continues rising as hospitals are overfilled with suffered and have no equipment to deal with the influx and severity of the injuries, according to a military official who preferred to remain anonymous.
Boko Haram, the terror organization, whose name means “western education is sacrilege”, claimed responsibility for the bombings.
During last months the group has been blamed for bloodshed, with churches and police stations among the targets.
The Foreign Office urged British visitors to cancel their trips to Kano and those already there “to remain vigilant and to exercise caution”.
“The Department for International Development and British Council have limited their operations in Kano whilst the curfew is in place,” the Foreign Office said.
William Hague, the Foreign Secretary, said his condolences to the families of those killed and suffered and added that the attacks had “sickened people around the world”.
“There is no place in today’s world for such barbaric acts and I condemn in the strongest possible terms those who carried them out,” he said.
“These events underline the importance of the international community standing together in the face of terrorism in all its forms.”