Cain, whose campaign has been riddled with controversy amid accusations of sexual harassment and an affair, said in an interview with Fox News Wednesday he hasn’t set a specific time to announce his decision.
“It will be several days. I haven’t set an exact time yet,” Cain told “Your World” host Neil Cavuto. He added that the decision depends on his wife.
“It has had a very damaging effect on her emotionally, because of the way some of the story has been presented,” he said of his wife of 43 years. “She gets upset when she sees the implications and the distortions by some people in the media.”
“I have talked to my wife many times since Monday about this situation. I have not talked to her about this face to face,” Cain told reporters earlier in Manchester.
On Tuesday, Cain said he was “reassessing” his campaign amid allegations of an affair and sexual harassment. Cain told Fox News he was reconsidering the course of his campaign because the accusations have put a strain on his family.
“This is why we are reassessing and the answer is yes, it is constantly weighing on me and my family, especially my family, because it continues to stir in the news,” Cain said. “This is why we are going through the reassessment.
“It is having a toll and anybody would do the same thing,” Cain continued.
Cain, who has denied the affair and harassment accusations, did not rule out other potential accusers emerging. “My career was in business for over 40 years. I have worked with thousands of people. I can’t possibly say that someone wont trump up another allegation. It just goes with the territory.”
Cain said most of his supporters were sticking with him despite the latest controversy, which came amid accusations he had sexually harassed a number of women. He accused his critics of trying to bring down his upstart White House bid.
“They want you to believe that with enough character assassination on me that I will drop out,” a defiant Cain said in Dayton, drawing a chorus of “boos” from the crowd.
A total of five women have accused Cain of inappropriate behavior. Ginger White, the most recent woman to step forward with accusations about Cain, said she engaged in a 13-year extramarital affair with the Republican presidential candidate.
White, 46, is standing by her claim that she had a long, “on-and-off” “casual affair” with Cain. White today showed ABC News phone records that she says show text messages back-and-forth between her and Cain on several dates as recently as October and November.
Cain, 65, denies having an affair with Ginger White, who says their 13-year, on-and-off relationship began in the mid-1990s. He said he thought she was a friend and he was simply giving her financial assistance.
Meanwhile, rivals’ calls for Cain to explain the allegations are growing. Today, Texas Gov. Rick Perry became the latest to call for such a move, saying that Cain “needs to address these allegations. That’s the bottom line.”
Former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman became the first in the Republican field to say Cain should consider dropping out of the race.
“Given the bandwidth that has been taken out of the discussion of any other issues pertinent to this campaign, a reconsideration might be in order,” Huntsman told the Boston Globe Tuesday.
According to Reuters/Ipsos poll, Cain’s departure would do little to change the race, with his depleted support carved up among the field. Top rivals Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich would gain the most, with bumps of about 3 percentage points each, while other contenders would pick up slightly less. [via Huffington Post, ABC and Reuters]