Ashton Kutcher is on the brink of losing his title as Twitter king. After famously beating CNN to 1 million followers last April, Ashton Kutcher has been the undisputed king of Twitter, gaining more followers than anyone else on the micro-blogging site. But are his days as Twitter’s most popular user numbered?
He’s got nearly 5 million followers, but he’s a mere 10,000 or so ahead of Britney Spears. What’s more, she’s on track to overtake him within a month, reports Mashable, which not only provides a trending graphic but a breakdown of the rivals’ tweeting strategy.
Britney Spears is slowly closing in on Kutcher – and the gap between their number of followers gets smaller every day. (At the time of this posting, Kutcher had 4,890,797 followers; Spears had 4,878,516).
Here’s what Ashton and Britney each have going for them and against them, according to Mashable:
- Spears’ account is almost four months older than Kutcher’s.
- Kutcher actually uses his own account to send personal tweets about things he cares about.
- Spears’ account is managed by her staff and is largely promotional or “BS alerts” when unfavorable tabloid reports surface. Tweets from “Brit” or “Britney” comprise around a third of all tweets from the account.
- Like many “real” users, Kutcher follows a relatively small group of friends, just 553 people as of today.
Spears’ account is following nearly half a million others.
- Kutcher updates his account every few hours, usually via Twitter client Brizzly.
- Spears’ account is updated every few days. Updates are always posted from the web, even when the star tweets she is on location or at an event or party.
- Kutcher regularly @replies regular users in conversations.
- The Spears account doesn’t engage in conversations but features occasional retweets from Adam Leber, Spears’ manager, and Candie’s, the brand for which the star is currently shilling.
Here’s a look at the stats according to TwitterCounter:
Although, here’s no dispute as to who is the better, more interesting user of a real-time service for personal updates. Spears’ Twitter account is little more than another facet of her marketing machine. But the singer’s overall international popularity is apparently enough to gather an army of followers for even a hollow account.