Sex. We’re all interested in it. Since laws are derived from what is acceptable to the majority, it isn’t surprising conflicting sexual codes of conduct exists between states in the U.S.
Problems regarding sexual behavior have transcended eras, races and religions. Let’s face it, sex is sex. But based on public ethics, sexual behavior has been restricted for a variety of reasons.
“Most laws [relating to sex] center on restricting non-reproductive sex as a way of controlling ‘different’ behavior,” says Dave Lefebvre, co-director of the Educational and Referral Organization for Sexuality (EROS) at San Francisco State University (SFSU). “That is why there are always problems with religion and things like contraception because use of such promotes a hedonistic image of sex,” according to SFSU.
Of course, when dealing with “different” behavior, one must also take into account extreme behavior such as necrophilia (sex with corpses), bestiality (sex with animals) and pedophilia (sex with children), where laws around the world are in almost complete harmony. However, what is of interest is the fact that there are a variety of sexual practices that are mostly accepted by society yet fail to gain acceptance in the legal system.
- In Bakersfield, Calif., if you’re going to have sex with Satan, you’ve gotta use a condom. And definitely come up with a safe word!
- In Merryville, Mo., no woman can waste her natural waist. Wearing a corset is illegal because “the privilege of admiring the curvaceous, unencumbered body of a young woman should not be denied to the normal, red-blooded American male.” No wonder it’s called the “Show Me State!”
- Oral sex is illegal in 18 states (Places where oral sex is illegal:Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Georgia, North and South Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, Utah, Virginia and Washington D.C.)
- In Virginia, it is illegal to have sex with the lights on.
- Sexual intercourse between unmarried couples is illegal in Georgia.
- Engaging in any sexual position other than missionary is illegal in Washington, DC.
- In Connorsville, Wisconsin, it is illegal for a man to shoot off a gun when his female partner is having an orgasm.
- In Harrisburg, Pennsylvania it’s against the law to have sex with a truck driver in a tollbooth. (There’s every woman’s fantasy gone down the drain).
- In Washington state, it’s totally legal to eff an animal like an animal, as long as it weighs less than 40 lbs. What, fatty farm pets don’t deserve some love?
- In Washington State there is a law against having sex with a virgin under any circumstances (including the wedding night!).