Do you still remember those ‘good’ days when Google and Apple were friends, united by their common enemy – Microsoft?! But this year the two companies declared war each other. Google released the Nexus One, and Apple put out the iAd, each a direct assault on the other company’s primary business. And it’s only the start, writes Jay Yarow for BusinessInsider. He thinks that ‘these moves are mere preludes to bigger battles that will flare up in the next few months.’
Here’s the list of the next 10 battles between Apple and Google:
- Google’s building an iPad-killer: Eric Schmidt has reportedly been telling friends that a Google tablet is in the works.
- Google releases Chrome OS: “Google is supposed to deliver a Chrome operating system later this year. It will be different than Android. It will be designed for netbooks. As such, it is a big torpedo coming after Apple’s OS.”
- Walt Mossberg will eventually declare an Android phone better than the iPhone: “Android software is being sprayed across so many handsets that eventually one of the handsets will deliver an experience better than the iPhone. When that day comes and Walt Mossberg pens the words “Android has finally delivered a phone that is better than the iPhone,” expect steam to come out of Steve Jobs’s ears.”
- Apple kicks off Google Maps from the iPhone: One Apple researcher, Gene Munster says that the company is working on its own map offering.
- Apple may also boot Google Search from the iPhone and replace it with Bing: “Most analysts we’ve read don’t think this happens this year, if at all. But it seems likely someday.”
- Apple creates its own search engine: An even bigger attack on Google would be Apple building its own search engine. That same analyst says there’s a 70% chance Apple has a search offering within the next five years.
- Apple and Google will start stealing important employees from each other: “For a long time Apple and Google were reported to have a secret non-poaching pact. Apple wouldn’t pluck Google’s employees. Google wouldn’t go after Apple employees.If that existed, it’s over now. Apple stole away RJ Pittman from Google earlier this year. Eventually one of these companies will pluck someone big.
For the rest of the list, check the next link. [via BusinessInsider]